The Christ’s College Music School aims to provide all boys with an opportunity to excel and achieve excellence in music. Boys are nurtured to appreciate a wide range of musical styles and experiences as part of their wider aesthetic development.
Students are exposed to a variety of visiting artists, as well as being able to attend regular performances from the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Music New Zealand.
The Music School is proud to have the services of some of the finest tutors in Christchurch. It aims to attract tutors who are not only highly skilled but also practising musicians — for example, members of the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra. This approach gives our music students excellent role models from whom they can learn and develop their skills.
Music lessons are scheduled between 8am–9pm, depending on the availability of the tutor and to accommodate each boy’s academic programme so they do not miss the same class each week. Lessons take place in the Music School premises in Rolleston Avenue.
College offers a rich and vibrant music programme, with many performance opportunities, including Big Band, Chapel Choir, Congregational Singing, Small Band (held weekly in the Chapel), Chamber Music, Brass Band, Saxophone Quartet and Orchestra (with students from St Margaret’s College), and Rock Bands.
Below are our musical highlights:
- 2021 – Regional Big Sing – Best Programme for a Mixed Voice Choir
- 2021 – Regional Big Sing – Best Performance of a Classical Work
- 2021 – Regional Big Sing – Schola Cantorum Best Male Choir at the regional festival
- 2020 – Winners of the Canterbury regional Smokefree Rockquest
- 2020 – Students selected for the 2021/2022 NZ Secondary Schools’ Students Choir
- 2019 – Regular finalists in the NZCF Big Sing National Choral competition
- 2019 – Winner of Best Classical Performance
- 2019 – Best male choir at Regional
- 2019 – Big Sing Competition
- 2019 – Schola Cantorum Best Boys’ Choir
- 2019 – Gold awardees at Southern Jam Youth Jazz Festival
Christ’s College Sedley Wells Music Competition
Our annual Christ’s College Sedley Wells Music Competition provides a wonderful opportunity for our instrumentalists and singers to perform solo items in a formal setting.
The competition is divided into two categories – Junior (Years 9–10) and Senior (Years 11–13) – and features an impressive range of musical styles and instruments.