Instrumentalists can collaborate and develop their repertoire to a professional performance level.
Ensembles are arranged to suit ability levels, with all groups encouraged to enter the annual Chamber Music national schools competition in June. Rehearsals fit in with student schedules and are both staff and student-directed. Ensembles perform at College concerts and local and community charity events.
The Christ’s College Orchestra is open to any student who plays an orchestral instrument.
It holds weekly rehearsals and, in combination with St Margaret’s College, performs several concerts throughout the year at both schools. It also features at the annual Secondary Schools’ Orchestra Festival in the Christchurch Town Hall.
Each year, players work towards the Orchestra Extravaganza at the end of Term 1, with Christ’s College, St Margaret’s College and Rangi Ruru Girls’ School attending workshops that culminate in a combined public concert.
Several College students have played in national orchestras, including the New Zealand Secondary Schools Symphony Orchestra and the NZ Symphony Orchestra National Youth Orchestra.
- Chamber Music – Berlin Trio winners of the Christchurch Regional Finals of Chamber Music NZ Competition
- Chamber Music – Berlin Trio runners up in the South Island Regional Finals of Chamber Music NZ Competition
- Chamber Music – Berlin Trio runners up in the National Chamber Music Competition National Finals in Auckland
- Chamber Music – Fiddlesticks Quartet winners of the SOUNZ Best Performance of an NZ Work at the regional finals
- Chamber Music – South Island finalists
- Ryan Gu awarded Best Performance by a competitor, based in Christchurch, at the National Concerto Competition