Who do we collect personal information from?
We collect information about you from:
- You, or your parent or legal guardian, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service through registration or enrolment process, or through any contact with us (e.g., telephone, email, letter, etc);
- Third parties (including Christ’s College), where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
How we use your personal information
We may use your personal information:
- To allow the committee of CCOBA to administer the CCOBA for the good of its members;
- To enable CCOBA to provide you with alumni services (for example holding events and networking opportunities);
- To help CCOBA develop, improve, manage, administer and facilitate the CCOBA’s services and operations;
- For internal purposes (such as internal administration and database management);
- As part of the investigation and analysis of incidents, including contact tracing as part of any health-related incident such as a pandemic;
- To communicate with you, including through newsletters and other publications;
- To verify your identity;
- To market our services and products, including contacting you electronically (e.g., by text or email for this purpose);
- To invoice you and collect money that is owed to us, including authorising and processing credit card transactions;
- To conduct research and statistical analysis on an aggregated basis;
- To protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim;
- For any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
Disclosing your personal information
The CCOBA does not share members’ private contact information with other Old Boys, unless an Old Boy’s permission is explicitly given.
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Christ’s College for Christ’s College to use for its lawful purposes, including in connection with College projects, fundraising initiatives, and other specific purposes;
- Any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products;
- A credit reference agency for the purpose of credit checking you;
- Other third parties (for anonymised statistical information);
- A person who can require us to supply personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority);
- Any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency);
- Any other authorised person.
Publication of limited personal information
You acknowledge that we may publish online basic information about your time at Christ’s College together with current publicly available biographic information. This basic information may include (without limitation) your name, College number, immediate family connections, College honours, branch membership of CCOBA, University qualifications, war service records, New Zealand orders and honours, and occupation.
Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse. You acknowledge that businesses that support our services and products may be located outside New Zealand. This may mean your personal information is held and processed outside New Zealand, including in jurisdictions that have privacy requirements different to New Zealand law.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note the personal information that you requested the correction.
We may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.