Terms 1 and 4 (Summer)
Boys who participate in athletics are expected to compete regularly in Saturday competitions. Year 9 boys who are already a member of an athletics club when they come to College may compete for that club over the summer while training with the Christ’s College club. Success in this competition can lead to provincial selection.
Students in Years 10–13 compete in the U16 and U18 grades in the interclub competition held at Nga Puna Wai on Saturday afternoons. Success at this level can lead to provincial selection.
At College, students have the opportunity to represent their House through heats, championship and non-championship events at the Athletics Sports Day held in Term 1. The age divisions for Sports Day are U14, Junior (U15), Intermediate (U16) and Senior, based on age as at 1 January.
A College athletics team is selected from these championships and competes in the Canterbury Secondary School Championships, and at South Island and NZ Secondary Schools events.
Master-in-Charge: Graeme Christey – g........@christscollege.com
Venue: Christ's College Upper
Training: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday (optional)
Uniform: College singlet, black shorts and College hoodie and track pants
- New Zealand Track & Field Championships – 5 podium finishes – 2 silver, 3 bronze
- Canterbury Secondary Schools Championships – 7 bronze, 11 silver and 14 Canterbury titles (including two new records)
- South Island Secondary Schools Championships – 8 bronze, 6 silver and 7 South Island titles
- Canterbury Secondary Schools Championships – 9 bronze, 9 silver and 13 Canterbury titles
- South Island Secondary Schools Championships – 2 bronze, 7 silver and 11 South Island titles
- National Track & Field Championships – 1 bronze, 2 silver and Edward Hsing won U18 Pole Vault
- South Island Secondary Schools Championships – 9 South Island titles, 5 bronze, 6 silver
- Sam King (Year 12) and Cody House (Year 12) represented New Zealand at the Oceania Athletics Championships and both achieved podium finishes
- New Zealand Secondary School Championships – 5 podium finishes – 2 bronze, 3 silver
- New Zealand Secondary School Championships – 1 national title, 5 podium finishes