Search Search Menu

Assembly Notes – 13 August

13 Aug 2019


Head Prefect asks the school to stand. Greets the school. Asks for silence as he says a prayer.

Musical Item

'Time in Motion' by Lenny Parris

Activity Report

Ellie Stevenson

Wednesday sport is in semifinal mode this week with the College’s winter racquet sports teams featuring. Table tennis has had four teams competing over the winter with some good results throughout. The top College team will contest the semifinal in B Grade against Burnside HS while the two C Grade teams are also in semifinal matches. 

In Badminton, the College A side will play a well performed Linwood College team in the A grade semifinal with the B3 team playing Cathedral College.

At the new Christchurch Squash club, College has two teams playing in semifinals with the top College team playing St Andrews A in the A grade and College B playing Burnside in the B Grade semifinal. Good luck to all these teams on Wednesday.

The 1st XI hockey side lost on Friday night to CBHS to miss a spot in the final 4 and this week will play Burnside in the last local competition match. Last night the team play a friendly match against the Canterbury Cats Women’s team. In a solid performance, the team won 3-0 with Ollie King scoring the opening goal and Tom Macfarlane scoring a double. In other matches on Friday the 2nd XI lost 2-1 to CBHS 2nd XI while Alex Stead and Hugh Duston scored goals for the Colts in their loss to Ashburton 2nd XI. In the local derby, William Picton-Warlow scored two goals for the 3rd XI team to help them defeat the College Black team by 2-1. Guy Roadley was MVP for the Youth Grey team and Tim Hanson scored the winning goal for the team in their win over Rolleston College.

The 1st XV played Timaru at home on Saturday in tough conditions. Despite the weather, the team played some expansive rugby and ran out comfortable winners by 55-28. The 1st XV completed the round robin with four straight bonus point wins this term to earn themselves a semifinal spot this weekend and will travel to Nelson to play top seed Nelson College.

The 2nd XV held on against Hilmorton HS 1st XV to win their semifinal by 12-7 and will now play CBHS 3rd XV in this weekend’s final. The U15A side played a superb match to defeat the previously unbeaten St Thomas side by 33-24 to book a place in the final against CBHS also. This was a great result from a team who has been improving as the season progressed.

The 1st XI football side will play St Thomas on Wednesday at English Park in the semifinal of the premier school competition. Last week the team lost to St Andrews 2-0 and will be looking for a much improved performance this week. The Junior XI defeated St Bedes 4-1 and will now play them again this week in the semifinals while the Rustics side won 10-1 against Hilmorton HS.

On Saturday, a number of College football teams performed well despite the horrendous weather conditions. The 14B side topped the goal scoring list with an 8-1 win over Cashmere Technical. In the match Tavor Abraham and Tommy Whitteker both scored hat tricks.  Charlie Owens scored a hat trick for the Ravens side in their win over Selwyn United and Owen Rees scored three goals for the 2nd XI in their 5-2 defeat of FC Twenty 11. The 15A side remain in the hunt to win their division after a hard fought 2-0 win over Nomads with Ciaran Huntley in goal making some great saves to keep the opposition scoreless.

The Senior A basketball team play Cashmere HS tonight in the last round of the Thomson Trophy. They will then play a quarter final playoff match on Wednesday night at Cowles stadium with the opponent being confirmed after the last round of matches tonight.

On Friday night, the Y9 team had a great win over Rangiora HS with Sam Milner playing a key role in a superb team performance. Louis Elworthy played well for the Y11 White side in their 60-40 win over Hagley, while Oscar Noble-Adams played a major role in securing a 33-28 win for the Senior Black team. 

The U20 side defeated the top of the table STAC U20 side by 65-41 while the two U17 teams were involved in close matches. The U17A side had an opportunity to tie the match on fulltime but missed the chance to lose 75-72 while the U17 Development team semifinal was decided in double overtime. The scores were tied at fulltime and again at the end of the first overtime period before Middleton Grange pulled away to win 88-83 with Matthew Lewis scoring a game high 47 points.

Good luck to all teams in playoff matches and for those involved in their last matches of the winter season.


Matias Biraben-Clough – speaking about Wellbeing Week


Southern Jam Gold Plaque

Christ's College Big Band

Student Volunteer Army Service Award


Search website