All on at tournament

11 Sep 2018

Held in the first week of September, Winter Tournament Week saw over 100 College students compete in a variety of sports across the country, from Tauranga to Invercargill.


Two College basketball teams were at opposite ends of the South Island, with the Junior side competing in Nelson and the Senior A team travelling to Invercargill for the South Island championships.

The Juniors came top of their pool, with wins over Otago Boys’ High School, Middleton Grange and St Bede’s College. In the quarter-final, they defeated Christchurch Boys’ High School 77–61 to make the top 4. After a slow start in the semi-final, the boys rallied late in the game, but it was not enough to avoid defeat to Shirley Boys’ High School by 5 points. In their last game, the team lost to a good Waimea College side, finishing a very creditable 4th in the South Island.

The Senior A side were defending champions, but this was a new look, young team, heading down to compete and learn from the experience. The team played eight games in four days, finishing with a four win, four loss record. In pool matches, they had wins over Lincoln High School and King’s High School, and an impressive 77–73 win against Otago Boys’ High School. The two teams had met earlier in the year, with Otago winning very easily, so this was a great turnaround. In knockout matches, they had two losses, before winning their last game against Marlborough Boys’ College by 84–64 to finish 15th.


The cycling team travelled to Blenheim for the Southern Tour, which comprises four different events – time trial, criterium, road race and hill climb – over two days. Sean Swanson, in the U20 grade, was a consistent performer, finishing in the top 10 in all events, with his best finish being 4th in the time trial. Michael Audeau and Fearghus Bratten were among the leaders in the U16 grade, with top 10 finishes for both riders in a number of events. Michael was 4th in the time trial and 5th in the hill climb. In the U17 grade, Jack Drage was 6th in the hill climb and 8th in the time trial. Overall, College riders competed well and are now preparing for the NZSS cycling championships, which will take place in Christchurch in the upcoming holidays.


At the New Zealand schools fencing championships in Christchurch Eden Pidgeon, competing in the Men’s foil championship, won bronze after being seeded 9th in the competition. While Oscar Aynsley, competing in the epee event, finished 2nd. In the final, Oscar was defeated by a Year 13 student from Auckland who is currently ranked 9th in the Commonwealth. In the team event, Oscar’s composite team, with students from Hagley College and Burnside High School, also won silver.


The 1st XI football side competed in the Jim Wishart tournament in Nelson, finishing as top qualifier from their pool heading in to the quarter-final. In pool play, the team had wins over Trident High School and Garin College, and a great 2–1 win over Otago Boys’ High School, having lost to the same team in June by 9–1. The quarter-final was a tight battle with Middleton Grange. Each side created a few chances, but College could not convert any and lost 1–0. After two more losses, the team finished 8th overall.


Two College hockey sides travelled north for the Tanner Cup in Hamilton and the Rankin Cup in Tauranga.

In Hamilton, the U15 side lost their first pool game to eventual winners Palmerston North Boys’ High School, before a 0–0 draw against John McGlashan College. The draw meant the team missed out on the knockout phase due to goal difference. In their final three matches, the team had wins over St Andrew’s College and New Plymouth Boys’ High School, and a thrilling 2–2 draw with Wellington College, to finish 9th.

In Tauranga, the 1st XI started with a 4–0 win over Otago Boys’ High School, before a 2–1 loss to St Kentigern, who they would meet again later in the tournament. In their final pool match the team defeated Wairarapa College 5–1 to qualify for the Rankin Cup. They went on to play a sublime first half and eventually defeat Tauranga Boys’ College 6–1, before progressing to the semi-finals with a 1–0 win over Auckland Grammar School. Four very good teams made it through to the top 4. Up against King’s College in the semi-final, College thought they had the winning goal with three minutes to play, but King’s responded immediately to send the match into extra time. Down to 9-a-side golden goal, College quickly found themselves in the attacking circle when a shot on goal was illegally stopped by a defender so a penalty stroke was awarded. Nic Lidstone stepped up and scored, and College was in the Rankin Cup final. The final was another tight game vs St Kentigern, with both teams having scoring opportunities and resolute defence. St Kentigern scored early in the first half, which turned out to be the deciding goal. College had a superb week, playing very well throughout the tournament.


Both the U15 and U16 rugby teams were involved in tournaments. The U15 team travelled to Blenheim and Nelson for the South Island invitational tournament. In pool play, they defeated Waitaki Boys’ High School on day one by 73–0, and followed this with a hard fought 26–17 win over Southland Boys’ High School. In the final pool match, the team had a narrow 22–20 loss to hosts Marlborough Boys’ College, but gained a bonus point from the match which was enough for them to top their pool and make the final. In the final, hosted by Nelson College, they were up against tournament heavy weight Shirley Boys’ High School. Although the match was far more competitive than the score suggested, College were comfortably defeated to finish 2nd.

College hosted the U16 Quad tournament, which saw Nelson College and John McGlashan College come to Christchurch to play Christ’s College and St Andrew’s College. The tournament did not start well, with College’s first game cancelled due to ground closures. The second day saw the team travel to West Melton to play Nelson. In wet and muddy conditions, College battled in a close match, but a late penalty to Nelson saw them make the kick to take a 15–12 win. The next day the team played two shortened matches against the other two teams. In the first, College were again involved in another tight game, losing 10–7 to John McGlashan, but they finished the tournament with a win over St Andrew’s.

Congratulations to all College athletes for their commitment, effort and results, and thank you to College staff and coaches, who put so much time and energy into each team.