Search Search Menu

Wynyard Lindsay Fairclough (4315), aged 100

18 Sep 2020

Wyn was born in Christchurch, the only son of Frank and Eva Fairclough.

After attending Elmwood Normal School he entered College in 1933, first in Julius House and then Flower’s House until he left in 1936. In 1934, he won the Canterbury championship sailing an Idle-Along for the Waimakariri Sailing Club. Later in life he was the club’s patron.

On leaving school, Wyn took up a position with WD & HO Wills before taking a wool classing qualification through Kreglinger & Furneaux until, on the outbreak of war, the wool industry was nationalised.

He volunteered and although serving with the Territorials in the artillery, his father, a dentist, exercised his influence to have him serve in a non-combatant role with the Mobile Dental Corp. He served throughout the Middle East, travelling in convoy from Algeria as far as Iraq. At the end of hostilities in the Middle East he was shipped to Italy, and was present at Cassino before being invalided home after contracting tuberculosis. He subsequently spent a long time recovering at the Cashmere Sanatorium, Christchurch.

Wyn then worked for Fletchers, becoming manager of the Dominion Sales Corporation, a division of that company. In 1954, he joined the family business of WJ Scotts Motors. He developed and expanded the business over the next 20 years, securing a dealership for Mercedes Benz and Holden. In 1976, an opportunity arose for him to sell the main operation to CablePrice and semi-retire. 

So began a time in his life when he was able to pursue his passions, including golf (in which he maintained a three handicap for many years and achieved four holes in one), travel, skiing (which he only took up in his early 50s), bowls, tramping, salmon fishing, and bridge.

He attended his 70 Years On reunion in 2003, one of only four to do so. When explaining to his son why so few, Wyn pointed out he was fortunate to be able to attend College during the Great Depression when the role was only about 250 and to survive the war, which sadly many of his Flower’s House contemporaries did not.

Wyn lived to celebrate his 100th birthday in February and passed away peacefully in May. At his funeral at Holly Lea Village he was remembered by family, friends and staff as a man of humility and gentility, with a twinkle in his eye and a wicked sense of humour.

Wyn is survived by his son Scott (8073), grandson Oliver (13104) and granddaughter Holly.

Search website