Centre for Character & Leadership
Our mission of Each boy at his best, aligned with core Christian values of honesty, respect and compassion, encapsulate our guiding principles.
Another aspect of education, however, is understanding how character impacts on our capacity to live a fulfilling and meaningful life. The Centre for Character & Leadership enhances our academic programme and provides opportunities for students and staff alike to strive for excellence in everything they do. By promoting good character and developing leadership programmes across all aspects of College life, we prepare our students to take their place in and make a positive difference to their community.
Mr Darrell Thatcher has recently been appointed our Director of Boarding and the Centre for Character & Leadership. He is currently developing a new school-wide character and leadership programme for both dayboys and boarders, which will expand and build on present activities.
Throughout 2017, Year 10 students will participate in the innovative Immerse & Inspire (I&I) programme, which will be fully introduced in 2018.
- Guide boys to a better understanding of themselves and their unique strengths and character at a pivotal time in their personal development
- In a meaningful way, introduce concepts of character and leadership as they relate to the College experience and to life
- Create a service learning experience focused on teamwork and community need, where boys will learn the power of giving
- Introduce a unique learning experience focused on social entrepreneurship, led by Christchurch's Ministry of Awesome
- Allow all boys to experience the fun of boarding and learning to live with others as a key part of their College experience
- Encourage boys to form friendships across College and between Houses
In 2017, all Year 10 boys will take part in the Ministry of Awesome's Awesomely Unreasonable Lab. This week-long experience, which focuses on global challenges and seeks to develop an understanding of social entrepreneurship, will be a fun and inspiring way for the boys to start thinking about future pathways.
Another I&I initiative, voluntary in 2017 but an integral part of the programme from 2018, will see all Year 10 boys experience life as a boarder for one month. Dayboys and boarders from across different Houses will come together in Jacobs House and participate in a number of special programmes delivered through the Centre for Character & Leadership.