The Christ’s College Music School aims to provide all boys with an opportunity to excel and achieve excellence in music. Boys are nurtured to appreciate a wide range of musical styles and experiences as part of their wider aesthetic development.
Students are exposed to a variety of visiting artists, as well as being able to attend regular performances from the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Music New Zealand.
The Music School is proud to have the services of some of the finest tutors in Christchurch. It aims to attract tutors who are not only highly skilled, but are also practising musicians — for example, members of the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra. This approach gives our music students excellent role models from whom they can learn and develop their skills.
Music lessons are scheduled between 8am–9pm, depending on the availability of the tutor and to accommodate each boy’s academic programme so they do not miss the same class each week. Lessons take place in the Music School premises on Rolleston Avenue.
College offers a rich and vibrant music programme, with many performance opportunities, including Big Band, Chapel Choir, Congregational Singing, Small Band (held weekly in the Chapel), Chamber Music, Brass Band, Saxophone Quartet and Orchestra (with students from St Margaret’s College).
Below are our musical highlights:
- 2019 – Regular finalists in the NZCF Big Sing National Choral competition
- 2019 – Winner of Best Classical Performance
- 2019 – Best male choir at Regional
- 2019 – Big Sing Competition
- 2019 – Schola Cantorum Best Boys’ Choir
- 2019 – Gold awardees at Southern Jam Youth Jazz Festival
- 2020 – Winners of the Canterbury regional Smokefree Rockquest
- 2020 – Students selected for the 2021/2022 NZ Secondary Schools’ Students Choir
Director of Music: Robert Aburn