A large number of boys take part in drama each year as actors, improvisers, directors, lighting and set designers, and production assistants.
Performance and production opportunities include House Plays, Theatresports, the Sheilah Winn Shakespeare Festival and annual musical and/or dramatic productions for both seniors and juniors. Students can also contribute to film projects organised by the Media Studies Department. College has won many awards in a wide range of interschool festivals and we work closely with the Music School, St Margaret's College and Rangi Ruru Girl's School to create vibrant performing arts partnerships for the boys to enjoy.
Our outstanding drama facilities include a modern 212-seat theatre, as well as a 1200-seat auditorium for large scale productions.
Through timetabled classroom drama and the Christ’s College Drama Club, we teach individual performance skills and stagecraft, and foster aesthetic and kinesthetic growth. Students also have the opportunity to take speech and drama classes. These lessons are scheduled between 8am–8pm and careful timetabling ensures boys do not miss the same academic lesson each week.
At College, we nurture creative talent, imaginative flair and a love for the theatre arts.
Below are our production highlights:
- 2018 – West Side Story, and Much Ado About Nothing – joint productions with Rangi Ruru Girls’ School
- 2019 – Private Peaceful – Junior Play
- 2019 – Playing with Fire Senior Plays (Year 12 Lord of the Flies and Year 13 The Arsonists)
- 2019 – The Frogs and High School Musical 2 – joint junior productions with Rangi Ruru Girls’ School
- 2019 – Hey Man – Year 11 collaboration with The Court Theatre
- 2020 – Evita – joint production with Rangi Ruru Girls’ School
- 2020 – Amass – Year 10 collaboration with Massive Theatre Co
Director of Drama: Hannah Clarkson